The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Only 25% off retail at an auction? (more)
In Response To: Seamaster GMT ()

: I just bought a Seamaster GMT Chrono, on an
: auction.

Okay. I hope you mean GMT Chronometer (certified watch), because there is no such thing as an Omega GMT Chronograph (stopwatch).

Hard to tell without seeing the detail on it. There are FAKE Seamster GMT's out there. Look at the zOwie Rogues Gallery on this site for details and photos of the fake one. eBay is pretty good about policing fakes, other auction sites less so.

If you can give us a link to see it on the auction site, we can look at it for you.

: I got a 25% reduction on retail price, and
: think I've done the right thing.

Sorry to have to tell you, but you could likely have gotten 20-25% off a brand new one from an authorized dealer. Since the retail is $1995 for the GMT on steel bracelet, that would make the watch $1,500-1,600.

Even worse, you could have gotten one for as much as 40% off a brand new one from a reputable gray market dealer. That would make the watch $1,200-1,300. Not that I normally recommend that, but I sure would put it far ahead of buying an unknown, unwarranteed watch from an unknown seller at an auction.

Hate to have to give you such bad news, but at BEST you'll come out only somewhat screwed on this deal. At worst, you could end up with a defective real watch, a cheap fake, or nothing but a wad of money missing from your pocket.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE