The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Serial #'s
In Response To: Re: Serial #'s ()

>>: It's legal in all states, as far as I know.

Not True.

California Penal Code:

537e. (a) Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his or her possession any personal property from which the manufacturer's serial number, identification number, electronic serial number, or any other distinguishing number or identification mark has been removed, defaced, covered, altered, or destroyed, is guilty of a public offense, punishable as follows: (1) If the value of the property does not exceed four hundred dollars ($400), by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding six months. (2) If the value of the property exceeds four hundred dollars ($400), by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year. (3) If the property is an integrated computer chip or panel of a value of four hundred dollars ($400) or more, by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months, or 2 or 3 years or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year. For purposes of this subdivision, "personal property" includes, but is not limited to, the following: (1) Any television, radio, recorder, phonograph, telephone, piano, or any other musical instrument or sound equipment. (2) Any washing machine, sewing machine, vacuum cleaner, or other household appliance or furnishings. (3) Any typewriter, adding machine, dictaphone, or any other office equipment or furnishings. (4) Any computer, printed circuit, integrated chip or panel, or other part of a computer. (5) Any tool or similar device, including any technical or scientific equipment. (6) Any bicycle, exercise equipment, or any other entertainment or recreational equipment. (7) Any electrical or mechanical equipment, contrivance, material, or piece of apparatus or equipment. (8) Any clock, watch, watch case, or watch movement. (9) Any vehicle or vessel, or any component part thereof. (b) When property described in subdivision (a) comes into the custody of a peace officer it shall become subject to the provision of Chapter 12 (commencing with Section 1407) of Title 10 of Part 2, relating to the disposal of stolen or embezzled property. Property subject to this section shall be considered stolen or embezzled property for the purposes of that chapter, and prior to being disposed of, shall have an identification mark imbedded or engraved in, or permanently affixed to it. (c) This section does not apply to those cases or instances where any of the changes or alterations enumerated in subdivision (a) have been customarily made or done as an established practice in the ordinary and regular conduct of business, by the original manufacturer, or by his or her duly appointed direct representative, or under specific authorization from the original manufacturer.

And I would think similar laws exist in many states.

>>: Someone brought up the question whether
: their insurance company would cover it w/o a
: serial #.

: (Most should, if you have the receipt of
: purchase - regardless of a serial #.)

My insrurance company required a serial numbers to purchase a Personal Articles Policy for my watches, and an written apraisal for some jewelry.

>>: World of Watches (where I bought mine) claims
: that Omega will not allow them to sell
: watches thru the internet (at discount), if
: they leave the serial number intact. I don't
: know if this is perfectly true, as others
: seem to do this for the same price.

Omega does not "allow" World of Watches or any other online retailer to sell watches over the internet. They are not authorized, and Omega does not yet support the practice.

>>: I guess you just have to ask yourself, if you
: really care whether it has a serial number
: on it. If $200 dollars means a lot to you,
: then it might make a difference.

The serial number here isn't so much and issue. I have seen internet retailers who sell Omegas with serial numbers just as low priced as ones who sell without serial numbers. I have seen authorized dealers sell at prices that rival or beat non-authorized online retailers.

>>: (If you buy it on credit or financing, then I'd
: recommend going through a local dealer and
: getting a genuine SMP.)

: If I had to do it over again, then I would
: probably have gone to a local dealer (as
: most are willing to come close to the
: internet prices...)

: But, there's that good ole sales tax!

I bought my SeMP America's Cup Authorized, out of state, from a dealer who was recommended by a friend. I paid no sales tax. If I had bought locally, I would have paid an additional $145 in sales tax.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE