The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Omega DeVille Prestige: user impressions

Hello, everybody! I recently bought a handwound Omega DeVille Prestige. This is a very low-profile watch, not only because it's a sober dress watch, but also because Omega marketing doesn't emphasize this model. Since this watch is not widely known, I thought I should put together my impressions about it, from a user's point of view. There it goes:

Introduction
This is the handwound stainless steel Prestige, with the silver dial and stainless steel bracelet. It's a classic dress watch with no complications at all. No self-winding, no date function, not even a center second hand. And that's exactly where its appeal is.
It is a current Omega product, reference number 4520.31.00. It's also available with a white dial and/or a leather strap, under different reference numbers. Other DeVille Prestige models include ladies watches and automatic COSC certified men’s watches, with center seconds. Information about Omega watches can be found at the Omega site, http://www.omega.ch/.

Why a dress watch
Big sports watches, with a military appearance, dominate current fashion. Legibility, multiple functions, and sturdiness are appealing sales arguments for the crowd. But, for distinguished persons, in a variety of situations, those are not the priority criteria. Elegance and lightness match better with the soberness of formal clothes. And a thin watch makes little volume between one's wrist and the cuff of a long sleeve.

The following pictures compare the DeVille Prestige with the military inspired Omega Dynamic, one of the most appreciated watches of the current fashion.

An additional appeal of dress watches is their nostalgic appearance. Many of us have dear memories of our parents and grand parents wearing proudly their dress watches. Elegant, small in size, great reputation. Most likely, those were watches with no complications. Just a clean dial, a respected brand name right below the 12, and that little second hand at the center of its own sub-dial, partially covering the 6.

Case, dial, bracelet and clasp
The DeVille Prestige is intended to be a fine "old fashioned" timepiece. Its packing is nice and gives a very favorable first impression. The watch comes in a beautiful leather coated red box, with a golden seal of the "Omega World Service Organization" on the top.
The watch inside comes well accommodated and securely protected. The white interior of the box makes a beautiful contrast with the bright polished steel of the watch case and bracelet, and it's the proper frame for the sober silver dial.

When I first opened the box I was surprised by the appearance of the watch, which I had never seen before, except for photographs. It was smaller, thinner and more delicate than I expected. The finishing of the case is very good. It's a 34mm diameter case, all polished with the exception of the back, which is brushed.

The crown is rather small, probably to add some protection to the winding mechanism - you'll hurt your fingers before you hurt the watch. Of course, there is no hack feature and no screw down either. The watch is rated 30m water resist.
The dial is very clean. Its smooth surface is light silver, with a subtle radial texture. There are no numbers on the main dial, only markers. The hands are bright silver, like polished steel, but in many occasions they look dark, depending on the incidence of light. The Omega symbol, right below the 12 o'clock marker, and all markers are applied metal. The OMEGA word is painted black. The second sub-dial partially covers the six o'clock marker. Its numbers and markers are painted in black. The small second hand is the same style as the hour and minute hands, and it’s also bright silver. The overall design is very pleasant and has good legibility.

The polished stainless steel bracelet is a masterpiece, in my opinion. Not only its finishing is superb, but also it's one of the most comfortable bracelets I have ever worn. Its construction seems strong enough, but it looks like a precious metal jewel. The clasp is beautiful when closed. It's not adjustable, though. The only way to have the bracelet adjusted to my wrist size was taking it to a local watchmaker, who took some links off the bracelet. I would never do it myself, since I have neither the proper tools nor the required ability.

The movement
The handwound Omega De Ville Prestige movement is an Omega Cal. 651, based on the ETA 7001. It's a 17-jewel movement beating at a rate of 21,600 A/h. It's 2.5mm high and its diameter is 23.3mm. Power reserve is 44 hours.
Omega finishing includes white rhodium plated parts with special waves, bridge shapes inspired by traditional Omega calibers, Glucydur balance and Etachron regulator assembly. It's a pity the watch doesn't have a display back. A photograph of the movement in the Omega catalog shows a beautifully finished movement, which resembles the legendary Minerva Cal. 48.
As far as accuracy is concerned, my watch is running fast almost 1 minute per day, which doesn't bother me at all, since it is not my everyday watch. I only wear my Prestige in special occasions and it doesn't have enough time to get much ahead. It certainly can be adjusted to better accuracy but, in my case, I don't think it pays to send it to a watchmaker and wait almost a month to have it back, hopefully adjusted.

Summary
The handwound Omega DeVille Prestige is a classic dress watch, with a sober and pleasant design, sound construction and superior finishing.
Besides the traditional Omega quality, it has a nostalgic touch of the past, a clean dial with a small second sub-dial, and the special feel of a handwound spring. Even its ETA movement is personalized by Omega to resemble traditional Omega calibers of the old times.
In my opinion, it's a great value, signed by one of the most reputable and successful watch manufacturers of the twentieth century.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE