The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Quartz vs. Automatic....More Thoughts

There have been several threads discussing quartz versus automatics, mostly in response to questions from people trying to decide which option is better for them. Here are some thoughts that I have on the subject:

1. ACCURACY. The quartz watch is going to be much more accurate (probably within a second or two per month) than an automatic. The automatic watch certification for a Seamaster, for example, is -2/+6 per *day*. That's a range of being from a minute slow each month to being three minutes fast per month (assuming your watch is performing within that range). Very commonly, ones automatic watch will perform well within that range. But, even if it's only 2 seconds fast per day, it's off by a full minute after a month. So, if you're looking for accuracy, then the quartz may be for you.

2. NO BATTERY REPLACEMENT. This is often an argument in favor of the automatic...and that argument is a tad weak, in my opinion. A watch battery will often last from 2 to 3 years. An automatic watch should be cleaned every five years or so. So, you are going to have to open your watch up twice in five years for a quartz and once for an automatic. For many people, that's not going to be a very significant factor either way.

3. COST. Two comparable Seamasters (with the only difference being quartz vs. automatic) will have the automatic costing more. In addition, and not insignificantly, the cleaning of an automatic will cost significantly more that two mere battery replacements. So, for the cost-conscious, a quartz may be better.

4. RELIABILITY. I may stand corrected on this one because I'm speaking only from a common-sense guess, but because there are many times more moving parts in an automatic watch relative to a quartz, there is a higher probability of a malfunction with the automatic because there are many more parts with which a problem can occur.

5. PSYCHIC SATISFACTION. There is something delightful about having an automatic watch on your wrist. Many people appreciate the achievement of a watchmaker's design and manufacture of such a precise time instrument that is purely mechanical. Many people feel that an expensive quartz watch is a sterile electronic device that lacks character...and is uninteresting because it is really no different as a time keeper than a $25 quartz watch you can pick up in a drug store. I also suspect that many people wear an automatic watch with the feeling of being in a fraternity of fellow watch enthusiasts who appreciate the mechanical marvels of an automatic...and like to be noticed when wearing one by a fellow automatic wearer.

SO, WITH THAT SAID, WHAT DO I WEAR?? An automatic!! The accuracy issue is not material to me as my life is not changed by my particular Seamaster being up to a minute off monthly. Getting a battery replaced twice in five years is about the same as getting my watch cleaned once in the same time period. The cost difference was relatively small, as least for me. With regard to reliability, nothing lasts forever. And, I truly enjoy having a mechanical marvel on my wrist. On that last point, it's kind of like the difference between having super-functional and easy-to-clean vinyl seats in a car versus more finicky leather seats. Or, it's like real wood grain (which can be marred by scratches and dents) versus a more indestructible man-made substance. Or, like a sailboat versus a motor boat. Or, a reader of a paper book versus reading a book on a computer screen.

In sum, I think an automatic watch lover has to be a bit more of a romantic than a quartz watch wearer.

But then, that may be my opinion only!! (laughing)

So, for whatever it's worth, for those readers trying to decide between an automatic versus a quartz, I hope these thoughts are helpful.

Cheers,

Loren

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE