The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Answers (long)

> 1. Are there any technical differences between
>these watches? Specs looked the same at the
>Omega page.

The only differences are cosmetic. Exact same mechanism inside. I believe the 2055.80 is also the mid-size. The Bond version is available in both the mid and a full size.

>2. The Bond face looked gray at the Jewelry
>store (lighting?) -- I don't like the gray
>look. Odd, since it looks very blue in the
>pictures seen on the net. The new blue
> face/silver bezel 2055.80 looks very much
>more blue.

The Bond uses a dial wave pattern of navy blue and blue-gray which looks a little different under certain lighting. Under normal circumstances, reflections off the crystal also distort the color somewhat. The net effect looks good. The 2055 has a clearly electric blue dial which may be too flashy for some people.

> 3. Is resale on the Bond better?

No advantage either way. These watches are still in production and are nearly identical except for a few color options. So do no expect any perceptible difference in resale values.

> The jewelry salesman said the 2055.80 is
> likely to go after this year, while the Bond
> is here forever. Is that statement accurate?

Like too many watch salesmen, he is talking out of his ass. The 2055.80 was just introduced this year, so is not likely to be dropped right away. The Bond model is likely to continue into the future. But nobody outside of Omega can even begin to intelligently comment on what marketing decisions Omega will make in future years.

>4. I have a small wrist, but I still love the
>watch. Think I can stick with the full-size, or

Many of us here have 6.5" wrists and wear the full size SMP with pleasure. It is not really your wrist size which makes the full-size watch the right or wrong choice. Generally, it is how the watch first with your body proportions overall.

> 5. Did I miss any differences between these watches?

> 6. www.Ashford.com ?? I understand they leave
> the S/N in tact. What happens if the S/N is
> removed by a dealer, such as
> worldwatches.com??

You essentially are buying a bastardized product that someone else altered to cover their ass. There is no benefit to you in this and some possible downsides. Avoid any dealer that follows this nasty business practice.

> 7. Ideas on what Bond will wear in the future?

No. The word is that the Bond producers have no specific contract with Omega committing for future films. But neither do they have any displeasure with their past relationship giving them any reason to change. If they stick with Omega again, the decision on whether or not to change to a different model Seamaster will likely be made shortly before the next movie goes into production.

> 8. When is the new model year typically
> introduced?

Watches do not have model years like cars do. Manufacturers add and drop models when it pleases them. Existing watch models seldom change from year to year. Sometimes, a minor revision is put in (like a change to an improved movement, or to a different glow-in-the-dark dial paint) whenever the manufacturer sees fit.

There is a major watch trade show in Basel Switzerland every March where manufacturers usually announce many of their coming models.

Messages In This Thread

First Omega: Bond or 2055.80 + Questions
Answers (long)
Re: Answers (long)
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE