The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: How can I find out weight of Bond Seamasters?

The weights I quote are not necessarily exact but the SMP in steel is around 150 grams. The SMP in titanium is around 111 grams (according to WatchTime magazine).

The SMP Chrono is also available in steel and may still be available in titanium. It is a lot heaver in steel. It is a big watch. While there are a number of face, hands, size and bezel options for the three handed SMPs, the Chrono version is only available with a skeleton hands and Bond style face.

The Chrono uses an modified ETA 7750 movement. The standard SMP uses a modified ETA 2892A2 movement. Both are highly regarded.

The Chrono is only available as an automatic. If absolute accuracy over time is paramount, then the quartz SMP may be for you.

The deviation of an automatic COSC certified movement is generally + or - 3 or 4 seconds/day. This varies from watch to watch. After break in, many movement exhibit far greater accuracy. Since accuracy in an automatic is dictated by type of use, temperature, position and other factors, the accuracy can vary over time. However, if, for example, your watch runs 2 seconds a day fast while wearing it, you can often identify a position (e,g crown up or crown right) in which the watch will run a bit slow over night to compensate.

I wear my SMP around 16 hours a day and place it on my night stand crown right for around eight hours. Doing that my watch has been accurate to less than 10 seconds a month.

Mark

Messages In This Thread

How can I find out weight of Bond Seamasters?
Re: How can I find out weight of Bond Seamasters?
Thanks Mark - much appreciated N/M
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE