The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

The Bond watch with serial no. 007

I would love to get a little help from you people with a long-standing knowledge of Omegas regarding the following issue:

Just recently got my 2561.80 Bond-watch at the local jewelry store. Back home, I went thru the paperwork and was surprised to find the serial number ending with ...007. My first thought was: "Oh well, it's a marketing method from Omega, issuing serial numbers ending with 007 on all those watches to enhance the Bond-connection...".

Then I read zOwies chapter regarding serial numbers and it became clear that my watch might be somewhat unusual, since all serial number are made up of 8 digits. [It would be limiting for Omega to have all Bond-watches ending with ...007, since the first five digits would only be able to serialize a production of 99999 watches. Plus many of the 007-slots must have been taken long before the Bond watch was introduced, rendering this theory impossible.]

After that little math-quiz session, I sent and e-mail to Omega in Switzerland [following zOwies recommendations on how to get info from Omega regarding my watch.]

I swiftly received the following intriguing response from a person in the Omega Product Development Department in Switzerland:

"... You have an incredible chance to own a James Bond model with the serial number ending with 007 !!

One of one-thousand non-chronometer (quartz movements as well as all not chronometer certified mechanical movements) watches end with 007 - but it can be a Constellation, a Seamaster, a Speedmaster, a De Ville .... "

Here my Question for you guys: What is the chance of owning a Bond-watch with a serial number ending with ...007?

To do the math, I guess we need to take into consideration a couple of things:

* The Total Production of the watches mentioned above, during the time-period the Bond-watch has been in production.
* The Percentage of Bond-watches out of the Total Production.

If someone of you out there have an idea what those numbers might be, I would be very happy to hear from you!

Then there are other things that can not be accounted for when trying to come up with the probability of owning a ...007:

* I have a feeling people within the chain of supply, from manufacturing and out to the dealerships, have an interest of getting their hands on a Bond watch with this kind of serial number. This would very quickly eliminate the number of ...007s of available for us - the final consumers.

* Also, God forbid, how many ...007s have been lost to grey-market serial number removal ?

P.S. If you do own a Bond watch with serial number ...007, please let me know. Would be fun knowing that I am not the only one!

OK. I am off to rent Bond-movies featuring the watch. I don't wanna be caught not having seen them while discussing those Bond-related issues...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE