The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Quartz vs Mechanical
In Response To: Quartz vs Mechanical ()

No argument with any of your points from a purely technical standpoint. But an expensive watch is not a mere teller of time, it is an expression of personal taste and helps define your self image. My SMP auto is certainly less accurate than most quartz watches.

Both my automatics are within 2 sec/day when worn 24/7 and when I place the watches crown right in their cases over night the result is my mechanicals are more 'accurate' than my quartz watches (TAG 4000, Swiss Army) over time.

I'm a technologist by profession. Yet I prefer records over CDs, analogue dials over digital ones on my various stereo systems, and yes, mechanical watches over quartz. Is this a character flaw on my part? Stupidity or ignorance? A need for something out of the mainstream, perhaps? A fascination with eeking the best out of an old technology? I really don't know the answer. I just know that even taking all your well stated arguments into account, I still prefer my automatic watches.

My automatics make me feel good. I have no emotional attachment to my quartz watches. For whatever reasons they have, a large number of seemingly intelligent people feel somewhat the same. Thank heaven for our differences or we'd all be wearing TIMEX Indiglos.

Mark

: This debate, which tends to pop-up every other
: week on this forum, is easily dealt with.

: If you want superior accuracy, superior
: robustness (5000G's remember), simplicity
: and convenience, then buy the quartz
: version.
: There is no need to constantly adjust the time
: to an accurate source and this will save the
: screw down crown from becoming worn from
: constant adjustment and readjustment.

: As for the myth that an auto can be as accurate
: if you get to know your watch and place it
: in several different positions depending on
: whether you want it to lose/gain time -
: forget that carry on. Thats a manufactured
: accuracy - no good if you never take your
: watch off.

: If you marvel at the wonders of intricate
: machines, are mesmerised by a sweep second
: hand and want a precisely engineered
: movement (mass produced) which has been
: tweaked by Omega, then buy the auto. People
: who like fiddling with things and watching
: grass grow will marvel that a piece of
: technology based on the 1600's can be so
: accurate (-6/+3 per day) and will spend
: hours watching the second hand tick (some
: may even stay up late to catch the rapid
: date spin over rapidly).

: Just remember, both versions require regular
: servicing (battery replacement for the
: quartz). In fact Omega reccommend having the
: water resistency checked before the
: "bathing season" which implies at
: least annually. So don't buy into the con
: that an auto will require less servicing.
: And if anything goes wrong it won't matter
: what you've got. The watch is a luxury item.
: Anything major outside the warranty period
: and it's bound to be costly to fix.

: And last, the quartz was the first to be seen
: worn by P.Brosnon in Goldeneye making it the
: true Bond watch.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE