The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Speedmaster question
In Response To: Speedmaster question ()

J. Brandt:

I have a Speedmaster Automatic Day-Month-Date. As mine is stainless steel, I can help with only questions 1 & 3.

1. Mine gains about 3 min per month; which is about 6 sec per day. If yours gains 5 min per month, that is about 10 sec per day (5 min X 60 sec = 300 secs / 30 days = 10 sec/day). I am told by Omega that an Omega mechanical chronograph which is not a certified chronometer is within specifications if it gains less than 15 sec per day. See also the omega site, www.omega.ch. Go to "contact" and choose "FAQ". One of the items there deals with accuracy.

3. You might want to go to a local authorized dealer and see if they can adjust the clasp at the store; it might be something simple that does not require a long trip to the factory and that can be adjusted without affecting the warranty. But I am not a jeweler so I really have no idea. I do understand your concern.

Hope you like your Speedmaster as much as I like mine.

John Glover

: Hello,

: my first time on the forum, I have a few
: questions about my Speedmaster Pro Automat
: (day date month)

: I've wanted one since I was 12, and then my new
: Wife produced this on our trip. WOW!

: I have 3 questions;

: 1. I gain 4-5 minutes per month (USNO). I'm
: guessing that Horst designed it that way to
: account for lessening lubrication properties
: over time. is this within spec?

: 2. What should I do to keep the case clean?
: Thus far I've been rinsing with water, then
: gently brushing it with liquid cleanser
: designed for gold, and the tiny toothbrush
: that comes with this substance, then dry
: with a diaper. Will this eventually harm the
: finish or the seals?

: 3. I wear it in my left hand, and when I cock
: my hand just a certain way, the concealed
: clasp deploys and the bracelet is loose.
: This happens a couple times day. My concern
: of course is that one day this will happen
: when I'm in the water, or some other
: inopportune moment. Is there a safegaurd for
: this such as a heavier guage spring or some
: type of secondary clasp?

: Clearly if I need, or soon will need service,
: I'd prefer do have it done while I'm still
: under warranty.

: Many thanks for your help,

: J. Brandt

Messages In This Thread

Speedmaster question
Re: Speedmaster question
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE