The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Could someoen explain the difference between..

: ..a quartz and an automatic? I know a quartz is
: battery driven and the automatic is self
: winding. What does the battery drive in the
: quartz? They both use tiny cogs etc to
: advance the hands?

An automatic is an *entirely* mechanical watch. Just like the old manual-wind watches. They both use energy stored in a tightened spring to run a mechanical series of gears and such to tick out the time. The only difference between the automatic and a hand wind watch is that hte automatic adds a metal weight that moves around as you move wearing the watch and its movement 'winds' the watch for you.

A quartz on the other hand is a mostly electronic device. It uses a battery operated circuit to measure the time--exactly like a digital watch. Here the difference is a quartz watch with hands uses a small electrical actuator to move the small number of gears that operate the hands.

: Also mentioned in an earlier post someone got
: sand under the bezel of their SMP while

Not heard of that problem before--but sand and coral are the two main diving risks to watches I've heard of. Especially in scratching the finish of the watch.

: Is this a common problem?

Actually, well over 99% of diving watch owners don't go diving. (Same with most owners of pilot's watches not flying a plane or virtually any owners of astronaut watches ever reaching sub-orbital altitude.)

Even those that do dive often switch to a cheap Casio or such for the actual dive rather than risking an expensive luxury watch. Sure, it can be fun to have the bravado of saying 'I paid a lot for this watch, so it damn well better do what it is designed for.' But the reality is that when you are on a 'if you damage it you gotta pay to repair it' basis, most people choose to risk a disposable $50 watch instead of one that could incur a $250+ repair if something did happen.

Messages In This Thread

Could someoen explain the difference between..
Re: Could someoen explain the difference between..
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE