The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

steel bezel modification

I have a 2055.80 (full size, auto, sword hands, elec. blue dial, steel bezel). I bought it from an auth. dealer, suggested by a contributor to this forum. It's been running + or - 2 seconds per day or better since I've had it. I love the watch...wear it every day.

However, the bezel showed smudges too easily and it was hard to read the numbers on the bezel because of the mirror-like finish. I called a few local auth. dealers and asked for the price to replace the bezel because I wanted to know what it would cost if this "experiment" did not work out. For 100 to 150 bucks, I was willing to risk it.

I took a small piece of Scotch Brite (a common plastic-based abrasive, similar to fine steel wool) and gently rubbed around the bezel about 10 rotations. Then cleaned the dust and inspected it for the look I was shooting for. I repeated this procedure three times and the bezel took on a circular frosted look that is perfect. The bezel looks like it came from the factory this way. The finish is almost exacly that of the sides of the case. I admit it is a little "grainier" than the sides, but it takes 10x magnification to see the difference at all. The watch isn't quite so "loud" now and the bezel numbers are MUCH easier to read and the appearance of smudges/fingerprints is greatly reduced. I would include a picture but I don't own the equipment needed to do that.

I know, I know...this reduces the resale of the watch. I am only putting this on the forum to let others know this can be done...I am not promoting the modification.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE