The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

1961 Omega Found in dads sock drawer!

Hello everyone,

I have recently been pondering purchasing an omega SMP as a present for myself (graduation & 21st). Well I've been saving up anyway...

... so you can imagine my delight when dad mentioned that he has an omega that his dad gave him! The watch was presented to grandad (now dead) in 1961.

Unfortunatly the watch is not currently working, and the staybrite glass is a bit damaged. The main problem I can see is that when the minute hand is at the 12 o'clock position, the hour hand is between 2 markers indicating half past.

Also the whole thing dosent actually go, but I imagine that shouldnt be hard to sort out (when I opened it up you could see some of the little cogs spinning around.

As I've mentioned, I opened the watch up - mostly to find out the serial number. Dont worry I treated it very gently! Here is all of the information that I managed to retrieve:

Omega Swiss
Seventeen -17- Jewels
(omega symbol) 285
17692622 (serial?)
Staybrite
ACIERINOXYDABLE (what the hell!)
14726-2 SC
Also the watch has the signature on the crown (not present in some early models I think)

Ive emailed Omega for information. Have any of you people had experience with this type of watch, or indeed had one repaired?

In general (I know this is a difficult question to answer) how much would it cost to have a watch restored to working order? My intention is to return it to my father as a christmas present - in its original splendour!

Ill probably go round to grandads (other one) tomorrow and get him to take a digital image of it for you. The face itself is in very good condition!

Do any of you repair your own watches? Im very interested in the workings of the thing - absoloutly amazing if you ask me. tic-tic-tic, ahh fantastic!

I hope this post interests some of you!

Nathan

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE