The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
OTOH, the forum's point isn't "Anything Goes"…

Isn't that the point of a forum? no censorship? Posted By: k Date: 10/12/05 17:31 GMT

In Response To: Let's Continue the Discussion, but No Names (Jeff Stein)

With all due respect the chap outlined his issues in a civil manner.

I do not believe this is in contention.

If he notes the name of the store/merchant, this is not uncommon.

Commonality doesn't automatically equate to the best course of action or the smartest way for the buyer to salvage an acceptable outcome.

I have been on vintage car, motorcycle, gun, sports, hobby forums and all have a zero tolerance policy on poor vendors performance.

This performance currently remains "in progress" and it remains quite possible for both sides to salvage the situation in a civilized, adult and acceptable manner.

And trust me there will be plenty of people to defend or stick up for the vendor if its out of line.

I don't think this is in contention either.

I think the #1 reason forums sprung is sharing good/bad experiences.....since we don't live in a candy coated-rose colored-cartoon/comic book world.

And the buyer has shared the difficulties he's had thus far with his experience. No one has censored or critisied the seller in any way (unless someone catagorizes my comments as critisim). The buyer has wisely (either via intent or luck) kept the seller's name out of this so far, and there remains a reasonable chance that this situation can me salvaged without much grief to either party if they are smart.

K, you titled your post "Isn't that the point of a forum? no censorship?" and the answer to that is no. The point of a forum is clearly stated in the masthead of the forum. There has been no censorship in this thread or on this topic. And the point of the forum isn't Anything goes either.

It'd be really easy for both parties to blunder into a real mess.

Frankly, at this point it's in the best interests of both parties to "be nice until it's time to not be nice". There is a window of opportunity for both parties to get this taken care up. But the chronograph is ticking.

That's not censorship, that's being smart and salvaging the situation.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE