The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Eh, I'm a Mac user, we're used to it!

Re: Modem melter! (YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!)

Posted By: jhb

Date: 7/16/06 22:37 GMT

In Response To: Modem melter! (YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!) (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

wow, first off thanks Chuck! appreciated your captures, and sharing with us. too bad some got lost,

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about that. I know I had at least 24 captures, but I had only saved the first six when I accidentally quit the program. Which means I have to sit through another couple hours of this film...

but the ones you got are still great!

Thanks!

yeah i agree, it was a typical 60's era film with allot more plot than racing, but i watched it that way, so i wasn't disappointed. rather,

"Winning" was about the same, with more footage from the actual 1967 and 1968 Indy 500's and much less interesting and exciting special shot footage than Grand Prix.

Lemans, which also had a blend of actual footage and "recreated" footage didn't have the advantage of a lot of TV footage being shot (like the Indy 500 enjoyed, even back in the 1960's) and also had the disadvantage that they couldn't use the fancy split screen effects that Grand Prix used (I'd say used to the point of distraction in many instances) without being labeled as a "copy-cat" film.

i was quite impressed with as much racing as it did have, as i assumed it would be even more minimal than it was...and even more talking than there was.

It's like the "Man's version of the movie Titanic"... Which has all of the extrainious story plot and elements removed and only the impressive effects, photography and violent scene's left untouched. The original version: 194 minutes... Man's version??? 45 minutes -- tops!!!

i also enjoyed the old tracks, especially the monza at the end,

Me too...

and i was quite impressed with the effects for it's time.

The effects are very impressive, I agree.

more blood than i would have thought they would show and even the dummy flying around wasn't all that bad.

If you ever get the chance to circle back around and view the DVD version of "The Poseidon Adventure" I was a bit surprised by the gore and carnage in it. I remember seeing it at age 11 twice (once with my parents, and another time with my school friends and I hadn't remembered it as being quite so graphic.

i should clarify though...i watch "b" and low budget films mainly, and i prefer stunts and models over computer effects. so my views of special effects are warped compared to normal movie watchers.

Then again I am a serious fan of MST3k:

So you can imagine some of what I see.

the music soundtrack kinda annoyed me, but i had to remind myself of the time, etc.

It seemed to me that they thought they had another "Magnificent Seven" or "The Great Escape" theme song, had paid for the score and there were going to get as much use out of it as they could. [sorry for the cheezy MIDI versions, but at least you know what I mean]... It wasn't that good the first time

i did see lots of chronos on peoples wrists in that film, but no real good close-ups...except maybe one or two and they flashed by pretty quick.

Aldofo Celi wore a very Autavia 12 looking chronograph just after he unfurled the Ferrari Black Flag... I was able to capture (and lose) a number of other snaps. I'll have to try to find the time to reacquire them...

you're absolutley right though many more hand helds with close ups that were longer, relatively speaking, like that minerva setup.

And there was a handheld Lemania stopwatch at one point.

i'm embarrased that you spotted more detail than i, while you were multi-tasking and i was was just watching.

I'm a Mac guy... and I'm a Mac guy... Don't sweat it, it happens all the time, We're used to it.

on my technology statement...i should clarify i don't have a dvd player in my computer. i've been waiting for my windows system to die, so i could upgrade?

The simple solution for you would be to byte the bullet, get yourself a Mac Mini (one of the new ones with an Intel Core Duo Chipset inside), get your self a KVM (Keyboard Video Mouse) switch, install Boot Camp, and start migrating. I'd be happy to give you advice about the transition...

at this point, since i only use it for internet and some office applications....i'm waiting for it to just die....like my vacuum cleaner, before i replace it as well. the thing is, they both seem to just run forever.

My previous Explorer was 8.5 years old but only had 83,500 miles on it. The air vent broke and would have required $1,000 worth of repairs to fix (one has to remove the center console and the dash to get to it). Otherwise, it was running great, would have only needed a new battery to weather another winter, but... It was time. At some point you've gotten all the best years out of a piece of equipment and you have to move on or resign yourself to having to put up with the less than best years of operation.

But I understand where you're at.

so i have no screen shots....i was talking more about watching on the tv with remote in hand and trying to advance screen by screen and zooming in to identify one. that's the best i can do for now, until my computer quits and i upgrade.

The interesting thing with the Mac Mini's is that you can do what I did out of the box with the included software, no ups or extras! You just have to know the proceedure and that takes about 4 minutes to explain.

Let me know if you'd like to know more.

anyways, sorry for the long reply...appreciate the captured shots and the restrictor plates!

Oh, yeah... I forgot about that shot... Well, that one would require the $35 Shareware program "GraphicConverter" to do the animation... So that's an exception to my previous statement above... =) Ooops!

good eye.

Thanks! I try!

j.h.

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.
Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE