The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Frankly, their "experts" pale compared to most forum regulars...

Fancy Auction Houses / Nasty Monaco Posted By: jeff stein Date: 12/5/07 15:37 GMT

maybe the high-brow auction houses do a good job with the high-brow watches, but the fact that they would even offer this Monaco, and have such an inaccurate description of the watch, leaves me wondering why they even bother with the cheap stuff.

For the bidder/buyer's premium? Old Stick?

Wrong hands, wrong needles, wrong pushers, awful paint on the white registers, crown hanging at crazy angle, etc.

Sounds like the Heuer equivelent of the FAKE Seamaster 300 with SAS markings they sold at Omegamania which was the standing joke of every Omega forum... Less a joke to the buyer who payed many MANY thousands of dollars for it.

If we saw this on ebay, we would laugh and poke fun at the seller. Can anyone explain why we see this sort of thing at Antiquorum?

Because their experts, are not as expert as the folks at just about any of the on-line discussion forums. Frankly, [and this is my own opinion, Sam may have a somewhat divergent opinion] these folks are more used and bluntly interested in Patek's than they are mundane Heuers and Omega's of the great masses.

Jeff

I see the 5100 Carrera 510.523 [Lot 19] went for just over $1,530 which is a fair price for that piece.

The Blue TV Dial Zenith El-Primero [Lot 20] went for nearly $3,200, that's a fair price, not awful, but not great.

The Navitimer 7750 [Lot 22] went for $2,832... I paid $2050 [shipped] for the 81610 I bought off of eBay last week:

I wouldn't trade one for one...

Some of the "Guestimates are goofy too... Lot 33: a Red Dial Schumacher [Reduced] Speedmaster at $2,500-3,500? That's a $1,000-1,500 watch on eBay TOPS.

Estimates on a c.861 [1969] Speedmaster being $1,000 more than a c.321 1967 Speedmaster? [Lots 34 and 35] Loopy!

Some of the Rolex Daytona Guestimates are a bit odd too...

This is pretty much a "remainder's" auction in my opinion. Half a dozen to a dozen or two examples from a variety of makes. It'll be interesting to watch, but unless you're looking for something specific, noting to get super excited about...

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

------WebKitFormBoundaryd+abIPyt1zI8IFuZ
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE