The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: That Price Seems Far Too Low

I think we're all in agreement that the watch is worth something more than $225.

However, I don't think that the watchmaker was trying to rip George off (especially in light of what seems like a reasonable repair estimate.)
Let's remember that we're talking about the difference between wholesale and retail prices. The repairman was offering about 60 percent of what the watch might bring (before repairs) on Ebay, where items tend to go between high wholesale and low retail. That 40 percent is a pretty typical markup in most businesses.

If George wants to do a little work to get a little more for his watch, great. (This post was a good first step) But the repairman was simply factoring in the cost--in terms of hassle and risk--of reselling the watch, whereas most of us would be inclined to keep it.

BTW, I'd get the GMT fixed, and buy a Luminox quartz for diving. (Rated to 200 meters, so you can know *exactly* what time it was when your chest imploded.)
Allen

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE