The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: That Price Seems Far Too Low

: I think we're all in agreement that the watch
: is worth something more than $225.

At least double unrepaired, maybe as much as tripled...

: However, I don't think that the watchmaker was
: trying to rip George off (especially in
: light of what seems like a reasonable repair
: estimate.)

I don't think the repair estimate is unreasonable. I would feel better if Hans was working on her, but that's just me and I know know the watchmaker in question...

: If George wants to do a little work to get a
: little more for his watch, great. (This post
: was a good first step) But the repairman was
: simply factoring in the cost--in terms of
: hassle and risk--of reselling the watch,
: whereas most of us would be inclined to keep
: it.

A operational in otherwise good condition, but non-water ready Autavia GMT (doesn't really matter if it's the Manual wind or the auto) is worth at least $900 or so. So for an initial cost of just over $600 or so, that's a decent return on investment.

: BTW, I'd get the GMT fixed, and buy a Luminox
: quartz for diving. (Rated to 200 meters, so
: you can know *exactly* what time it was when
: your chest imploded.)

Agreed, I would keep it to in the circumstances laid out. On the other hand if the owner wants to let it go at the price mentioned or even slightly more, there would be no shortage of people willing to pony up to the plate and purchase and send to Han's for his gentle ministrations...

-- Chuck

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE