The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: McQueen Monaco on Antiquorum
In Response To: McQueen Monaco on Antiquorum ()

I wondered how the Monaco would do, the celebrity stuff earlier in the sale was slow - the FDR watch didn't sell for example.

The Steve McQueen name obviously counts for a lot though.

The bronze and his glasses went below estimate but everything else went through the roof. The Monaco estimate was $10-20000 but then so was the estimate for the Rolex Sub and that went for $195000!!! The bike went for $230000 and even his driving/riding licence made $35000!!! (Excuse all the exclamation marks, but I reckon they're justified)...

The auction order throws up some interesting juxtapositions - lot 300 was a Patek that went unsold at a high bid of $270000 but lot 301 was an Ebel that went for $200! And I've thought some of the Heuer bezels were expensive in the past, but nothing on a bakelite Rolex one at $7000!!

So what do we think of a Monaco at $73000? I think of it as 30 or 40 Carreras but that's just me ;D!!!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE