The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
How do you assess this price?

If you're a big Steve McQueen fan would you buy a $1.00 pen that he used for $7.00?

So is paying $70,000 for a $10,000 watch that outrageous? Put aside for one moment the fact that $70k is a silly amount to pay for any watch...after all, 95% of normal people would tell you that $10,000 is a silly amount to spend on a 30-year old watch that Steve didn't wear personally and that doesn't keep time as well as a Swatch....and that's before you tell them that you also dropped $1000 on the red box that it came in...

It will be interesting to see who bought the watch- I do hope that it wasn't Tag themselves- but could you blame them? How much publicity will this sale get? A lot more than $73,000 would buy.

I didn't even think about bidding on this for a nano-second- not that I could have even if I really wanted it.

For what its worth, I don't think that this will have a big impact on Monaco prices- this price is not about the watch, but rather the man who wore it.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE