The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: My poor man's Carrera
In Response To: Re: My poor man's Carrera ()

Now that's quite an interesting movement.

It shows a couple of differences from a Valjoux 7732, but is practically identical to a 7731 (which doesn't have a date wheel). So maybe Hamilton were adding a date wheel to the 7731 or perhaps early 7732s were a bit of a hybrid with some 7731 parts until production was fully underway.

Heuer used the Val 7732 themselves, in the "economy" watches of the early 70s. Same brochure as last time but a different page now!:

Don't worry about the "economy" bit, it wasn't the movement that made these watches cheaper than the "named" watches! If anything, the 7732 is nicer looking than the 7734 in the Carrera - the yoke-shaped bridge is much better looking than the plain, heart-shaped one in the 7733/4/6. And I'd say your Hamilton is a better-looking watch than those Heuers too - I'm not a fan of the case used for those economy models.

It does mean the watch could be a year or two earlier, though there's still a fair chance it could be from 1969 - my year of birth too, and I agree it would be nice to have a watch (or many watches!) from then. Unfortunately, however hard I try, attributing any of my Carreras to '69 would only be deluding myself! :/

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE