The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Advice on production date/model of this '60's Heuer Chro

Thank you for the warm welcome, Mark.

Indeed, thanks for the in depth reply and catalog photo so quickly. It's an amazing world and yes, digging for information is very much part of the fun and education. Without the manufacturer's records, it's really up the watch community to band together to have pool their knowledge. To this, I am grateful and eventually hope to return the favour to the forum if I can.

Apart from the wind up mechanical I had when I was a kid, my watches have been of the quartz variety since the 80's. Of course, my parents and some of their generation have continued to wear their auto and wind up mechanicals. I have always admired those watches. To this end, often in sad circumstances, I have acquired some watches. My intention is to service/restore these classic timepieces and wear them sympathically. Certainly, it has been an education and broadened my knowledge. It has peaked my interest in watches (vintage and modern). The bug has hit, and from what I read, often highly addictive! However, foremost is being able to know as much about the watch, its movement, history etc. Your email answers many questions. I'll have to check on the serial number. Thanks for the heads up on the possible typo.

The value request is more for insurance purposes and to make a judgement as to whether to proceed with any repairs/service quotation the watch may require. In this instance, a repair/service seems justified. As you state, it's still a nice watch, though without the 'name' of the series watches. However, sentimentally it will be a keeper as long as I am able to keep servicing it. Later, as my knowledge base grows, I might be armed with enough information to dive into a purchase of a 'named' series.

The watch has an aftermarket band which needs replacing. Any recommendations on either a leather or rubber strap? It's unlikely I'll find the original strap with buckle.

Thanks again, cheers, Brad

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE