The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Advice on production date/model of this '60's Heuer Chro

: Thanks, Mark,

: Yes, a solemn but welcome introduction to the world of Heuers.
: Other than the 'label', band, perhaps case finish, are the
: internals the same in the 7721 as 'labelled' series?

Yes. The finish on the 7733 movement will be identical to any other Heuer using the same movement (e.g. the Carrera). The dial is very similar to that on the contemporary manual Carreras - indeed we have seen some of these refinished with the Carrera name added to the dial; the different case shape remains a giveaway. I think the watch is more interesting for what it is than trying to pass it off as something it isn't and ruining a perfectly good watch in the process. The watch is an economy model in name as much as anything - the only real clue to Heuer trying to save money in its production is the use of the chrome-plated nickel case rather than the stainless steel cases that the series models were using.

: Just out of interest, how much activity will the incabloc system
: allow (eg golf, tennis on non racquet arm etc). My intent is to
: wear it (I'm pretty much a desk jockey at work now) with the
: exception of heavy sports, yard/maintenance work....

The Incabloc is reasonable shock protection. The intention is to protect the delicate parts of the movement from a sudden shock, such as being dropped, rather than the more considered movements of the sports you mention. One of the things we love to see on this forum, is the photos of the racing drivers wearing their watches - and they wore and used them during the races. A watch that can cope with a Formula 1 race should certainly be happy with golf, but it's worth remembering that the watch is the best part of 40 years old and probably wants to be treated with the sensitivity due to anything of that age. I use a single-handed grip in tennis myself, but I know for sure that I swap hands to make wide shots and (very) occasionally switch to a double-handed grip, so I probably would leave the watch off for tennis (though, as the best part of 40 years old myself, the watch would definitely not be getting the same workout it would have done 20 years ago)!

: Nice to know that there is a Heuer community Down Under. I'll be on
: the look out for a buckle when one comes up to fit a nice band
: in due course.

: Sorry to bombard the forum with questions, but just a quick one
: with regard to gaskets in the pushers/crowns in Heuer chronos of
: this vintage. Typically, are/should they able to be water
: resistant tested to say 3 atm if they have been
: replaced/serviced, similar I believe to the Omega Speedy Pro?
: I'm not swimming with it, but more concerned with splashes (hand
: washing, walking in rain etc.)
Splashes shouldn't be a problem but again it's worth remembering that all the components have had forty years of use and wear at this point, and tolerances may not be what they were, even if all the seals have been renewed. I only really worry about some of the watches in heavy rain, but given that you're in Oz and I'm in the UK, you probably have much less reason to be concerned about that! Common sense and a bit of mechanical sympathy seems to do the trick for me - that and the inherent understanding that if I try and fiddle with it myself (beyond changing the strap), I will likely break it :)

: cheers, Brad

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE