The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
More Coming Soon . . .

I just got home, and quickly found two more of these on the C-drive . . . will try to post them later.

The common denominator of all these is the awful quality of the finish. I find it impossible to believe that Heuer ever used these dials. If they were, in fact, produced for Heuer by a second manufacturer, then I am confident that they would have been rejected as unusable / failing to meet the brand's quality standards.

If I had to bet (or guess), right now, I would say that someone other than Heuer had a batch of these made, realizing that many Monacos had been damaged by the gasket goop and were in need of new dials. So someone buys the damaged Monacos at a low price, pops in these new dials and the cute little hand sets, and they are sold as the usual "near mint". Sometimes we see the Tool 033 backs; in many instances the backs are plain.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: After all we know of other big Marques with more than one dial
: manufacturer..
: These probably did not make the cut and were not discarded
: properly..
: Just a thought.
: Cheers
: D

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE