The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Great work Jeff & Mark anyone else have thoughts?
In Response To: Excellent Points, Rich ()

I think we are moving close to a firm opinion on this.

There are many of these "fake" dials out there and for the sake if future buyers it would be good to sort this issue once and for all as people pay good money often in good faith.

Marks post is excellent and as usual well thought out (unlike some of mine composed on my phone!) and i agree. Sure different dial suppliers but seeing as 2 different ones supplied original genuine dials with no discernable differences this isnt the convenient excuse some have used in the past for getting the important dial details correct. Therefore i agree it is most likely someone saw the issues with Monaco seals and with some savvy took advantage of the situation. Actually id guess several different business minded people did so as the "fakes" are so different they likely come from several sources. I assume singer would not make dials for anyone wanting Monaco copies so that wadnt an option plus costs would drive someone to a "lesser" maker.

This is an interesting subject - no doubt...

: good point here . . . I once had a Monaco with a service ticket
: from 1998, and the goop was as bad as we have ever seen. So the
: bad gaskets do not tell us that the watch is from the 1970's . .
: . they only tell us that we are seeing a bad gasket.

: great point here . . . if these are service dials, perhaps used
: when the gasket goop has destroyed the original dial, why are
: they so often matched with the short little hands? this
: combination points to someone who had a load of the dials
: refinished and had a batch of the compnaion hands produced . . .
: doubtful that this "someone" was Heuer.

: Thanks for this response, Rich.

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE