The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
On the other hand...

Those lume sticks are not easy to do on a redial, and have broken in a couple of places in absolutely classic fashion (they break like this on the PVD barrel Carrera too). The aging looks equivalent to that on the hands too.

None of those speak to me of redial. I suspect the rediallers who could manage those lume sticks are pretty thin on the ground, and for it to have aged like that? If so, it must have been redialled a fair old time ago... Perhaps only the register numerals were retouched, maybe breaking a lume stick or two in the process.

Is the serial number known? Marginally before the known range and you'd have to look at the prototype question. After and we're into the possibility of a second batch, with different register configuration, perhaps made alongside the PVD barrel Carrera. If we had just two examples of PVD Monacos, one with the staggered registers and this one with flat registers, which one would we suspect of being the redial (knowing as we do how Monacos are normally laid out), which one would we suspect of being redialled?

I have no connection with the sellers (though I do know their shop in Munich) and no vested interest, but I think of researching a vintage watch as an almost forensic process and by seizing on the register layout and ignoring things like those lume sticks, we're maybe not looking at the full picture. There is perhaps more story for the watch to tell yet...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE