The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: On the other hand...i still say its about the script...

Script is important, but there is no one tell really. And given the asking price seems to be high, any prospective purchaser would be better off holding the watch in one hand and a bloody good loupe in the other rather than asking for hi-res photos! Maybe Arno could drop by when he's next in Munich and cast an eye over it.

Jeff wrote "for a watch with such a limited production run, it's difficult to imagine that there were actually two executions (or two batches) of dials". Perhaps, but it's also more likely that the dials for such limited production were hand-finished, rather than the manufacturer setting up their printing machines for such a small run. There are some signs of hand-finishing on other low run dials, though the variation is not normally as much as this shows in the registers against the known examples.

Anyone taken a good look at the back of the dials? Any manufacturer stamps? I'd wager (a small amount) it was little swans. Of course, they would probably be using the dial blanks from a regular run in any case.

This is why I'm happier when a watch has more things to pick up on, like that black 1553 on eBay - though even that hasn't stopped that one being bid up... Caveat emptor as always.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE