The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Indeed, Plaza Offers Appraisals on All Pieces

Thanks for the reminder, Mark, and thanks for the link to their online listings.

I have never used their online listings, as they would seem to be very unreliable. It would probably take a year of fulltime work, to get every watch in the store into the online database. So, as a prospective customer, do not be put off by the limited number of watches, shown in the online listings . . . There will be ten times the quantity in the store itself. [By the way, I didn't realize that this Daytona (that I was using as an example) was actually shown in the online catalog. If it's in the store, then it's been there for over six years, as I recall seeing it -- and its pricetag -- during my first visit, which was August 2004.]

You are right in mentioning the appraisals. Every watch with a fair market value of X is likely to have a sticker of 3X, and Lee (or the tag) will tell you that it also has an appraisal of 6X. These appraisals must be in his head, along with the appraisals of the autographed photos and crystal goblets. I say you walk in with your own appraisal, as Lee's is likely to be on the high side.

Enjoy this experience, but only walk into the store if you are in the mood for something of this nature. It ain't the Tourneau Time Machine, which is right down the street if you want something more conventional.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: But Jeff, it's been appraised at $10,000:

:
: http://www.mgfint.com/Miva/SIRIS/plaza/index.mv?mode=Store&com=Category&i_cat_id=1100&i_brand_id=2970&i_prodkey=3797&opt=4&lopt=3&lb=1:1:1:0:1:0:0:0&rb=1

: How dare you go in with such an insultingly lowball offer for a
: $10k watch?!!! ;)

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE