The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Trade-In Watches Will be Worth Very Little

The trade-ins would appear to be an interesting approach, I mean, wouldn't it be satisfying to receive $8,000 for the old Daytona that will carry the $10,000 appraisal!! But you should be cautioned that your Daytona -- comparable to Lee's $4,500 Daytona, with the appriasal of $10,000 -- is likely to bring you only a few hundred dollars as a trade-in. I seem to recall that our own David DeVos attempted this approach, and made a hasty retreat back onto 57th Street, when he found how little his watches were worth as trade-ins.

Like we have said, there is nothing rational about this place . . . Not sure that anyone can recommend strategies that will be effective. Mind altering drugs might be helpful; plotting out a strategy is likely to be frustrating.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Thanks Jeff, can't wait to go there! Sounds like great fun
: bargaining with the guy. Reading your story I had to think of
: Monty Python's Life of Brian ( market bargaining scene where it
: was impossible to buy without bargaining, either downward or
: upward ..haha).
: I have the CD, so I will see it just before leaving and practice a
: bit. As a Dutchmen we have some bargaining skills so let's see.
: My approach is to go there with trade watches, look whether he has
: them as well for sale and check the asking price before showing 0,000
: mine's. From there on start bargaining. Takes a bit of luck of
: course
: Have a couple of Universal Geneve and Blancpain Fifty Fathoms that
: I have to trade.

: NY will be a success in any case. Black+ White Carrera Dato waiting
: which I bought from an OTD'er two months ago. My sister kep it
: meanwhile saving 19% Dutch import tax.

: Thanks buddy!

: Ron

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE