The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: a friend, I hope
In Response To: Re: a friend, I hope ()

Hmm.

I think there is some cause for concern Jurgen. Heuers aren't the best known watches out there and many people have bought watches in good faith only to find some issues later.

The dial does look ok, but the case shape looks a little off as well as that bezel. Are the model reference and serial numbers engraved between the lugs? We'd also expect to see a signed crown and fluted pushers from an Autavia of this period.

Moving onto the movement, yes the bridge is stamped but it's actually stamped upside down. Heuer, and most other manufacturers who used a marked bridge on the Valjoux 773x movements, actually stamped their name the other way up than on your watch. Also, is the movement reference stamped under and to the left of the regulator? Not clear to me from the photo, but the movement should have the Valjoux symbol and 7733 stamped there.

That the caseback also lacks a hyphen between Heuer and Leonidas, doesn't say "Stainless Steel" and is so low down is also a worry.

I'd be afraid that at least some parts of the watch have been put together around a genuine dial, and any number of people have been taken in since. First thing to do is get the loupe out and check for those markings on the case.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE