The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Difficult to Know: Prototype or Fake; But This One is Easy
In Response To: Re: Autavia: friend or foe? ()

It is usually impossible to know, with absolute certainty, whether a particular watch is a rare, on-off prototype or a rare, one-off fake. We can only approach the point of certainty (a) when someone in the right position at Heuer tells us that certain prototypes were made [for example, the 28,800 vph movements] or (b) when someone tells us that they have produced a fake [as we saw with the oversized fakes, several years ago].

Between these two points on the spectrum, we examine a watch, consider all available information, and try to arrive at a conclusion -- was it made by or for Heuer or was it made by a thief / faker / scammer [or even a well-intentioned watchmaker having some fun with the spare parts, after hours]?

I look at the watch that you are presenting, and my conclusion (which is nothing more or less than one person's opinion) is that this watch is a fake. The dial looks genuine and the case may be genuine (difficult to tell from the photos) . . . the rest looks wrong to me. We see:

• the wrong time of day hands, never used by Heuer with this movement (and far too short, to my eye),
  • the wrong chrono needles, not used by Heuer
  • the wrong bezel, never used by Heuer
  • the wrong marking on the movement, placed upside down, and
  • the wrong marking inside the case-back
So while I have no direct evidence that this is a fake, I put all this information together, and I am highly-confident that it is a fake. Shock and horror by the owner (or the previous owner) do not enter into the equation; neither does the fact that the previous owner had some other nice watches.

Others can have their own opinions, but this is mine . . . nothing more and nothing less.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: There are NO numbers on the watch..
: not mil markings and neither reference nor serial between the lugs.

: Caliber / dial / case / movement are all EXACTLY the same as the
: 72. Reference 73363 Military
: except there's no IDF numbering on the back, and smooth crown and
: pushers. Brushing of the case: top surface brushing follows the
: contours.. the thin edge is polished, the sides is vertically
: brushed and it's looks CRISP.

:
:

: The correct valjoux 7733 is inside, but the heuer leonidas sa on
: the bridge is up side down, correct spelling and font but
: engraved, not stamped.
:
:

: still not convinced, if they did so much effort why not mount a
: more "fitting" pair of hands?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE