The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Survey Topic: Discussion Forums and Other Social Media

I presume you mean 'watch related' Jeff?

Anyway, I'll kick off..

What discussion forums do you visit regularly?
I regularly spend time over at http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/index.php.
I find it a nice relaxed forum, where I can educate myself on other watch brands etc. There is no heavy moderation over there, and there is a nice mix of people, new & vintage watch lovers. It's mainly UK based from what I can tell. I know a few of us 'OTD'ers hang out over there too.
I also check out the Cal. 11 website Facebook feed to see what's happening, get the latest on what David is reporting on over on Cal. 11.

Apart from there and here, that's about it really.

Which discussion forums that you visit are "in" (getting more of your attention) and which ones are "out" (don't visit as often as you used to)?
I used to post over at WUS, but it's 'too big' for me, a bit edgy, and if you say the wrong thing it can cause waves. A bit over moderated IMHO.

Which social media do you use, relating to collecting vintage watches? Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, or others?
Also check out our 'Vintage Heuer' FlickR page. For nice watch photography, I also check out http://www.flickriver.com/groups/1161362@N22/pool/interesting/ which is basically a FlickR 'pooling' site for image searching.

Which of these social media are "in" (getting more of your attention) and which ones are "out" (don't use them as often as you used to)?
I'm not really into the Twitter, Facebook etc, I guess I'm old school.

Which are you favorite blogs, on the subject of vintage watches?
Whatever I can find really. Not a regular reader of many.

Anything else that you might want to share with the community?
Yes.. what I like about OTD is that it is proper old school. I used to think, "Why doesn't Jeff upgrade the forum to a regular 'normal' looking forum", where you can track posts easier, edit topics etc etc. But I think the 'old school' forum is part of the charm. There is no 'post number chasing', no inane posts, posts are considered and well written/executed. I like the way you 'know' the regulars, not be constant posting, but my name, by the quality of their posts. (Having said that, the 'threading' of posts can sometimes be hard to follow, especially on a long technical discussion).
In other terms, it keeps the forum concentrated, to those who really want to discuss Heuers. On the other hand, I do like some of the banter that goes on. Like the post recently where someone (forgive me I forget) posted a photo of a drawing his daughter had done. I love the picks people post of where they are Franchesco, David etc.

Hope that helps in some way!
Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE