The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Survey Topic: Discussion Forums and Other Social Media

What discussion forums do you visit regularly?
All sorts of different ones on a variety of topics, but for vintage watches; this one of course, plus I contribute occasionally to the IVHOC forum and even less often to the Vetroplastica one. As that is almost entirely Italian now (fair enough really) and it means wrestling with Google Translate, I only really comment there when something really piques my interest. I still read it more often than I comment though. I also lurk occasionally on the MWR forum; quite interesting to read posts from a different sphere of interest with a little bit of overlap. I occasionally read Timezone but not often nowadays; it's a bit offputting wading through the TAG posts tbh.

In terms of the messages that are posted, what aspects of your regular discussion forums do you like and what bothers you about them? Do you particularly like chit chat, information only, photo displays, showing off watches, off-topic discussions, or all of the above?
I like proper discussions, especially when it involves a bit of investigation and thinking! Something along the lines of the recent "Fab. Suisse" threads. I really enjoyed putting the city reports together and hoped it might spur some others to put their own together on their favourite cities, but that didn't ever seem to happen :( I like "What is this watch?" questions, provided the watch is at least a little obscure, especially when the watch is inherited and will be kept - I'm happy to go the extra mile a bit with info for those requests. New arrival posts can be interesting, particularly if the watch is out of the ordinary. Now, perhaps a bit more divisive, I'm really not keen on "What are you wearing?" posts, because they don't often come up with much new. Not really a problem for me, I glance at them and move on without getting involved - I know some forums ban those posts, but that seems heavy handed to me. Off-topic I really don't mind though, happy to read and talk about other watch brands, cars and motor-racing in particular and we never really seem to have waaaayyy OT posts! Seen some nice watches I didn't know about from other brands on here, can think of Zodiacs etc.

Which discussion forums that you visit are "in" (getting more of your attention) and which ones are "out" (don't visit as often as you used to)?
I went off on a mild tangent on the first question and already incorporated this!

Which social media do you use, relating to collecting vintage watches? Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, or others? Which of these social media are "in" (getting more of your attention) and which ones are "out" (don't use them as often as you used to)?
I never really bought into the social media thing. I have a Facebook page that I don't really use, but keeping it open lets me control its security better than just forgetting about it.

Which are your favorite blogs, on the subject of vintage watches?
I like David's Cal 11, when he's talking about modern watches as well as vintage. Some interesting discussions going on in the comments there too, and DC seems to have nurtured some great connections with TAG-Heuer. I frequently read Hodinkee, and used to read a TAG blog that seemed to have died a death in 2009 unfortunately.

Anything else that you might want to share with the community?
I think community is the right word for here, which isn't the case everywhere. I particularly like the mix of nationalities we have here - many fora seem focussed more on one region, but, despite being based in the US, I don't think this is a USA-centric forum. Posts from all over, including plenty of contributors for whom English isn't their primary language.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE