The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Change the Subject Line in Responses - That's a good idea

Jeff,
I'm guilty of not doing this, the reason being is that I'm not sure (as I'm sure many others are) of the etiquette of doing this, ie. 'messing up' someones thread title. It also has a greater opportunity of veering off the original topic. ie. Someone starts a thread called 'Show your Monacos', then someone responds with 'Don't have a Monaco, here is my Silverstone', next 'Here is my Autavia' etc etc... the thread loses it's original purpose.

There is also confusion as to whether a reply should include the original message they are responding to (ie. Your text below my text in this reply). As large image or text posts get reproduced several times over, or people write a reply that it gets 'lost' within the text they are replying to. (I hope that makes sense).

Recently I posted up pics of my orange diver, then someone else did the same thing, but the hands on their orange diver were 'incorrect'. Someone then thought it was my watch that had the wrong hands, which was an issue, as I was trying to sell it !

The system works fine, until someone 'does it wrong'!

Cheers
Stewart

:

Having said that, the 'threading' of posts can sometimes be hard
: to follow, especially on a long technical discussion

: I will plan to post a more comprehensive response later, but in
: the sentence copied above, you have flagged a point that has
: "bugged" me -- in a small way -- for a long time. It
: would really improve the usefulness of this forum if people
: responding to messages would change the "Subject"
: line, to capture what they are writing, rather than
: re-publishing the "Subject" line from the message they
: are responding to. We end up with some amazing threads, with
: some great information, but it is difficult to find a particular
: response when they all have the same "Subject" line.

: If a few of our readers would try changing the "Subject"
: line in their responses, and we will have a more reader-friendly
: forum!!

: More later!!

: Jeff

: +++++++++++++++++++++++++

:

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE