The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Let's talk 1163 GMT

Hello,

I just received a nice 1163 GMT. I have been tempted to buy one several times in the past but never made the jump. I owned a 11063 GMT and an 11630 GMT before, this is my very first 1163 GMT. I love the touch and feel of the plexi.

However, there are some little things that "trouble" me and I'm sure the GMT experts around here will know the answers. Here are my questions/remarks;
* Was this reference originally equipped with an orange central seconds hand? I think it should be red.
* Was this 1163 GMT produced with red subregister chronograph hands? I think they should be black...but I have already seen more then three of these with red subreg hands...it makes me doubt...
* What about the dial? This is a second execution 1163 GMT, because it has the caliber 14 instead of the caliber 11 GMT, it has a higher serial number then the first generation 1163 GMT's and it uses the second generation GMT bezel. I assumed only the first generation 1163 GMT's used this kind of dial, I refer to the minute subregister which is completely white while (as far as I know) the second generation 1163 GMT's had the three red circular striped in the minute register.

Looking forward to some answers ;-) Here are some pics...I also plan to post some "after" pics when it's ready...

Thanks,
abel.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE