The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Here is the twin
In Response To: Re: Here is the twin ()

Hello Paul,

Your 1163 GMT seems to have the very same specification as mine...with only a small 300 serialnumber seperated.

I start to believe these were originally equipped with an orange central seconds hand....as I never saw another red central seconds hand from a Monaco or another type of Autavia fading so much over all those years. Also the chronograph subregister hands would be legit then...however I do prefer to see the black ones.

Paul, I still have some of these red subregister hands in spare so if they can be of any help for you...just ask.

Haha...that Chinese case opener. I always smile when I see people at fairs with such an opener...it just says it all I IMHO. I can understand a collector buys such a tool in the beginning...I think you are very wise you threw it away. Those opener with two and three legs to hold in your hand are just asking for trouble, read scratches. I'll post some pictures later this week (or month) from my watchcase opener...I replaced my father's vintage Bergeon tool with a more modern type from Horotec...expensive but opening and closing has never been so much fun ;-)

About the movement...ofcourse we don't need to open the case to check what movement is inside. You can hear!!! Just take an Heuer where you certainly know it has a Caliber 12 inside....and then take your GMT...and listen very carefully by compairing them both. If it does have a Caliber 11 inside you'll notice the lower beating-rate of 19800, where the Caliber 12/14/15 all have an higher rate with 21600. I admit it is not very easy to hear if you don't do this frequently...but practise makes a master ;-)

Cheers,
Abel.

: Hi Abel

: Best answer I can give is a picture of the identical watch, serial
: 2435xx since refurbished as it was in very poos shape.

:
:

: * orange central second hand. It could have been red once but like
: yours, mine had aged and ended up the same orange tone
: * I believe that the red sub register hands are correct and I have
: seen maybe 10 examples including one on David's site with these
: hands. I think they compliment the watch and regret not keeping
: them on mine.
: * the dial on mine is the same as yours and may well be a
: transitional dial between the first and third execution 1163GMT.
: I still have the original dial if you are interested.
: * I still have no idea what movement mine has and will have to send
: it to you to open. I threw out my Chinese made case opener for
: good reason.

: Talk soon, regards
: Paul
: www.heuerworld.com
: :

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE