The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Seems it could be Kenyan Air Force..

Thanks to NetMatrix (aka Paul) on here, I've exchanged a few emails with a mil watch expert based in South Africa.
He (Neil) thinks that these markings could well be Kenyan Air Force (KAF).. or part of KDF (Kenyan Defence Force)..

In 1st August 1982, there was a failed coup d'etat attempt to overthrow the Kenyan president. Lead by a group of Air Force officers (no aircrews), the failed attempt lead to the disbandment of the Air Force on 22nd Aug '82. It was reconstituted shortly after under tight Army control under the name '82 Air Force' (or 82 AF). It regained independent status beginning of 1994.

The South African expert is aware of '82 AF xxx' markings on other mil issue items.

Obviously, this is still speculation, and it could be coincidence that the markings are '82 AF', but it's the best lead I've had so far. So, if anyone has any other insights to add, please fire away.

Stewart

: That's a salient point Mark. I'm still not hugesly convinced that
: it's SAAF.
: Maybe I'm more trusting than most, but the German dealer I bought
: it from, who I communicated only via email, seemed like a
: straight up sort of bloke. I've no reason (other than blind
: trust) to not believe him. I like to think that there are still
: some honest stand-up people out there... so I'm still convinced
: there is an Israeli connection of some sort. I know that can't
: be backed up - but I'll continue to gather info and endeavour to
: discover more.

: Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE