The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Man enough...already the selection is a manly task!!

Excellent topic Stewart, thanks for this lead!
The tool watch is w/o doubts the category I am in for watches, possible exception only the Carrera 1964 re-edition that I am btw wearing right now.
I am putting two constraints on my selection:
- Chronos only (which rules out some very tool watches like the Superprofessional)
- Watches that I either own, or have owned or would like to own.

My thoroughly-pondered selection would be:

All-Heuer set, in preferential order:
1. The AMI : L5100-powered, so a workhorse of a movement; mineral crystal to withstand most abuses; military heritage; sandblasted finish; stealth look - the whole lot. Sadly, the one I do not own :-(
2. Autavia 11063V: the largest and bulkiest of them all, officially rated to a 200m depth for WR, big bezel, large pushers... the ultimate (and also one of the very last in line) of the Autavias.
3. 510.500: most of the AMI features, L5100 etc. at a tiny fraction of the price; plus: polished finish that can be restored very easily if scratched. This is the one I really wear whenever I am likely to be caught out in rain or in any potential "watch-endangering" situation like on the beach.

All-non Heuer set, in preferential order:
1. Sinn 756 : hardened steel case; cockpit-clock look dial; DEKRA crash test survivors; magnetic field protection and - not least at all - readily available and with a decent used market.
2. Sinn 157 Ti Ty : the AMI's cousin, but in a titanium case which makes it antimagnetic by definition and so more comfortable on the skin both in cold and hot weather. My go-to watch more and more recently.
3. Omega Mark IV : the ancestor of the L5100, with an integrated case and a very very thick crystal; housed pushers etc. Now gone to my nephew but one I really used to wear a lot.

The magnetic field protection can seem a fuss but my 510.500 actually got magnetized in an airport security check, so now I am more careful on this side...

Cheers,
Fabrizio

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE