The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Honorary Tool Heuer - Spirotechnique

I've been pondering the question for a while now, and I keep coming back to a watch which I love. I know it doesn't technically fall into the 'Heuer' category, and it isn't a chronograph - not that being a chrono is a requirement, it's just that when one thinks of Heuers, they think of chronographs.

So, I put forward the Spirotechnique. Sure, there are many Heuer divers that can compete on the WR rating, even some which exceed the Spiro by a multiple of five - the 1000m Heuer Quartz (& TAG Heuer version) and the 1000m Super-Professional Auto. It might be thought that perception and feelings should take a back seat when thinking of tool watches.. but it is hard not to include them. After all, we like what we like for those very reasons.

As stated, the Spirotechnique isn't technically a Heuer, but I think it marks the apex, the end of a dynasty of the Heuer divers. Divers that were used for their purpose, and have a well earned foothold in the history of Heuer, and had a large part in rescuing of the company financially. So, we have a workhorse movement, a design that is timeless, well balanced and very well built - touches like the sunken and guarded crown at 4 o'clock so it doesn't rub or tear a wetsuit, it is supremely comfortable too. It has the Heuer DNA - that was also shared with other Spiros (Auricoste etc).. and the connection to the very origins of scuba diving with Cousteau/Spirotechnique. There is evidence that they have even been issued to the French Navy, this is good to know, but that isn't a major selling point to me, as these were used by divers, regardless of who their employer was.

I think, like Jeff, I may cover these one by one. But for me, the Spirotechnique is a must-have in my tool watch box. It has humility too, not all singing and dancing, not a 'look at me' watch, it sits below the radar, just being good at what it does.

Photo from caliber 11..

More info.. article on Cal.11
http://www.calibre11.com/heuer-1000m-spirotechnique/

Cheers
Stewart

: One could argue that most Heuers are tool watches.. but.. some are
: more tool than others..

: So.. forget your collection as a whole.. you may have as many
: non-tool watches as you like.. BUT..

: If you had to have only 3 tool watches, which would they be??
: Think long and hard.. it's not as easy as you think.. You are
: allowed 1 non-Heuer ;0)

: Cheers
: Stewart

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE