The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Never shy away from a long answer!

My understanding of passivation is a physical or chemical process to make the surface or boundary layer of a substance passive, i.e. less reactive. Aluminium does it naturally in air by forming aluminium oxide, preventing any deeper formation of oxide. So I don't know that those 'PVD' watches would be just passivation alone, as they are more cosmetic than protective. The top surface does look similar to powder coating used on e.g. suspension components. I have seen PVD Heuers where the PVD was chipped and it did look like there were two layers, so the theory of a passivation layer under a powder coating could hold true. If I remember right, though, those were base metal, which would tarnish in air - there'd be less reason to passivate stainless steel prior to powder coating.

Definitely an interesting field and worth investigation! If you don't feel it's giving away trade secrets, it would be very interesting to see the next case you do step by step.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE