The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: I agree with Mark

Hi Mick,

I agree with Mark that it is a pvd Carrera (110.571NC). I picked up one off of eBay not too long ago. It had its pvd worn/striped off at some point and was then high polished. I would guess that is what happened to yours as well.
I can’t tell for sure but it looks like yours isn’t coated but has had some sort of media-blasting done to the case to give it that rough pewter like finish. It was probably a rough grit, which tends to leave a rather dull grey finish. The finer the grit will, of course give it a progressively brighter finish.

The deployment clasp also appears to have a blasted finish. I think it is a clasp from a regular bracelet that has just had the bracelet part swapped out for leather. I’ve I have a couple of extra clasps and have thought about doing something like that myself. Not too difficult and will give a bit more current look.

I have done a number of custom blasted and black coated (Seiko, Heuer etc..) watch cases now for myself and few friends. I redid the pvd coating on my Carrera and just love it. Although I haven’t worn it much because I still need to relume the hands.

Here are some before and after pics of mine.

Eddie

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE