The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Pepys Attended at Least Two Candle Auctions
In Response To: Candle auctions ()

I bet he would have really enjoyed ebay!!

November 6, 1660:

. . . From thence Mr. Creed and I to Wilkinson’s, and dined together, and in great haste thence to our office, where we met all, for the sale of two ships by an inch of candle (the first time that ever I saw any of this kind), where I observed how they do invite one another, and at last how they all do cry, and we have much to do to tell who did cry last.

September 3, 1662:

. . . After dinner by water to the office and there we met and sold the Weymouth, Success, and fellowship hulkes, where pleasant to see how backward men are at first to bid; and yet when the candle is going out, how they brawl and dispute afterwards who bid the most first.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: On November 6, 1660, Samual Pepys described in
: his diary an auction where the bidding
: closed when a candle stub burned itself out.
: The bidding was reported to be fast and
: furious in the last moments -- "...at
: last how they all do cry." Ebay's
: method has a 400 year legacy. I guess we
: have to live with it. Yes, DSL helps.

: Jim

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE