The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Update on Fake Heuer Being "Discussed" on TZ-UK Forum

As Stewart brought to our attention in his posting -- http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=63845 -- there is a debate raging on the TZ-UK discussion forum, regarding the authenticity of a Baylor watch like the one shown below. Here's a link to the thread -- http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?273357-Funny-how-fashions-change

This watch had been acquired by the gentleman who owns and operates the forum, and he and several others are defending the authenticity of the watch, against some skepticism from Stewart and from me.

To make a long story short:

• Jack Heuer confirmed to me, by e-mail (a) that Heuer ceased producing the private-label Baylor watches, in either 1958 or 1959, and (b) that he had no recollection of this particular model of watch.
  • I posted this information, along with my suggestion that the watch was not made by Heuer, as it was produced well after 1959. Within minutes I was blocked from viewing any of the TZ-UK forums and banned from posting any messages.
  • Soon after that, I received an additional confirmation, from our best expert here in the US of A (who was with Heuer from 1962 to 2002), that this watch is a fake.
  • Of course, the operator of the forum and his buddies continue to post messages claiming that the watch is real, and challenging my information, while blocking me from even viewing it. [How many times will we hear the suggestion, "They can't prove that it's a fake."]

Of course, I have no idea whether or not the owner of this watch (operator of the forum) actually believes that this watch is real. One thing that I am sure of: blocking people who do research and provide accurate information makes a mockery out of the term "discussion forum".

So I am signing off on the discussion of this watch; it's more fun to discuss the real Heuers!! Indeed, the more I visit other places, the better I like it here on Chronocentric / ChronoTrader.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE