The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Fallacy of the 'International Warranty' (more)

It befuddles me how the watch industry can get away with such measly warranties. In all other luxury product markets, warranties are becoming increasingly generous.

I do a lot of flyfishing. The trend w/ flyfishing equip, which is expensive, is to offer an unlimited lifetime warranty (read "unlimited"--can run over gear with car and get replaced no questions asked). In the auto industry, warranty periods and scopes of coverage are ever-increasing with some out to 10 yrs and 100,000 miles.

If Omega offered a 10 year warranty -- unprecedented in the industry -- it would have so many takers, it couldn't make watches fast enough. Unfortunately, it seems none of the mfgrs are willing to put their money where there mouth is. Omega touts its quality and technology, but isn't willing to back it up.

: Your tale is another case where Omega's much
: touted International Warranty was of no
: value to the consumer.

: As you pointed out, while Omega WOULD have
: serviced your watch free, they didn't
: because you -- like most everyone on the
: planet -- do not carry their proof of
: purchase and warranty for every item they
: own with them when they travel.

: As I keep saying, companies like Omega need
: more than just nice sounding but hollow
: benefits like 'International Warranty' to
: support their customers who have done the
: 'right thing' by buying from authorized
: dealers.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE