The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Agreements and disagreements
In Response To: Re: More about movements ()

Hi Chuck

I will agree with you on some points and disagree with you on others
1)Omega also uses Valjoux/ETA 7750 based
movements with varying degrees of
modification(s), finishes and refinements.
As well as other ETA's I believe.
-That is true the Eta that are modified in the Omega range are the 2892-2, the 2893, the 2890a2 wit hdd chrono module and the piguet 1150 found in the comsic moojnphase limited edition watch

2)Rolex so tightly controls production and
sales channels that there is often a waiting
list for popular models which leads to
"minty" privately owned examples
being sold at or above MSRP (for those who
choose to pay to have it quicker than the
waiting list). This is a significant reason
for the high resale value of Rolex's...
Because Rolex doesn't allow Authorized
dealers to discount more than 5-10% (if
that) and demand is high, values remain
high.
-True and it explains why on grey markets you see 4130 daytonas for over +9k$. Unless you are a very good customer, it is very rare to buy some models immediately at rolex

3)Chronographs used also
include the Valjoux/ETA 7750 and in older
models, Lemania 1873 (and if you want to go
back far enough Venus and other movements).
All current models are COSC tested which is
something few other manufactures bother to
do, or even attempt.
-I disagree for these reasons. Breitling isn't a manufacture and the term manufacture should only be used for firms that make their own movements, people who buy movements and assemble the cases and put movements into them are assembleurs but not manufactures.Breitling doesn't modify the valjoux 7750 or cal 13 as Omega does with the cal 1154, the breitling version of the lemania 1873 is far less beautifully finished than a 1861 or a 1863. Also I will add that Breitling charges you near 2k$ for a diving watch fitted with a basic eta 2824-2 movement, I am speaking about the super ocean and the colt ocean. Cosced or not, Breitling has never been known for manufacturing outstanding quality movements as Omega did and does.The venus 178 was the best movement breitling proposed in its chronographs, however a 321 is better built and far more reliable.

4)In all fairness to TAG-Heuer, it is not
reasonable to compare an inexpensive F1 to
an Omega Moonwatch or a Daytona. On the
other hand, the New TAG-Heuer Carrera
competes decisively against the comparable
Speedmaster Date (both are Valjoux/ETA 7750
based) and makes the Speedmaster look BAD
The level of finish of TAG watches
themselves (not the movement) is comparable
to Omega, perhaps not quite as good, but
pretty close and in the same range. The
Movements... TAG typically doen't spend as
much attention to Omega (at least on the
higher grade Omega models). The Cal. 36 is
very nicely finished and comparable to the
commonaly seen higher grade Omega movement
finishes. It's a shame TAG doesn't use the
Cal. 36 on more models.
-I don't like the new Carrera but it is up to the person's tastes. About the cal 36, it is just a rebadged el primero with no improvements. The 33xx has a keyless balance, kif shock protection and also a bigger power reserve than the cal 36

5)Zenith: nice movements but prices increased
like whoah and the brand is turned too much
into joallery Movements are among the
best if not the best in any catagory,
however as Georges eluded to, this brand
used to be a steal, and now is at best
middling on value. They're current product
lines have caused great speculation as to
which elicit drugs the
designers/marketers/administrators of the
firm have been indulging in. The old Zenith
was known as being a bit eclectic when it
came to design, but the current Zenith is
way out there (cue Twilight Zone music)...
-Agreed

6)IWC also is a
heavy user of the Valjoux/ETA 7750 movement,
people claim great finish on the IWC
versions of the 7750, but I don't see
anything of note on my Porsche Design/IWC
examples.
-Yes and the movement found in the new Ingenieur was based on the valjoux 7750 and yes IWC has lots of experience into modifying the 7750

Thanks for making the debate more intersting Chuck and have a nice day

regards

georges

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE