The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: In-house
In Response To: In-house ()

: Well, I respect your opinion in believing
: in-house. For arguments sake, if somehow
: someday in the future: (1) Rolex decide to
: provide 3135 to other manufacturers, then
: Rolex 3135 is not as good as it is today?
: (2) ETA decide to not supply movement to other
: manufactures, but start to build watches of
: their own (thus in-house), then ETA is
: better than it is today?

: Remember back in the old days (like 50+ years
: ago), virtually EVERY watch was in-house.
: So, in your logic they are all better than
: today's ETA?

1)Rolex never sold their calibres and never will. Rolex wants to have its best movements for their own products its understandable because they are not an ebauche/movement manufacturer. The 3135 never had the brutal stop problem and it has rigorously been tested since 1988

2)Not all brands were manufactures even 50 years ago.Blancpain used AS Ebauches and Lemania movements, Rado used AS ebauches too,Breitling used valjoux/venus/eta and fhf movements/ebauches, early Paneraïs used Rolex and Angelus movements,Tag used Valjoux, Landeron and Eta ebauches,Ebel used valjoux and eta ebauches in the past,Certina used valjoux ebauches for their chronos and some of their movements used an eta base,Longines was manufacture till the mid 60's after that it stopped to make its own movements and sticked to eta/valjoux ebauches, Zodiac used the AS/valjoux ebauches as far as I can remember. Eta will always be considered as movement/ebauches supplier not like Lemania who used to be a watch manufacturer.
For me older inhouse movements are far better than any mass produced eta, why? The craftmanship, the finish, the care braught to the movement and the general durability was better than an eta. See how well performs an omega 30mm, a longines 30ch or an early rolex pereptual 630na or rolex hunter even after all those years and you will see my point.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE