The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: +5 is not bad
In Response To: Re: +5 is not bad ()

I would not wait more than 2 months for a new watch to settle. It should actually only take a few weeks of initial use for any oil distribution and any miniscule 'roughness' to smooth itself out.
I would recommend a local authorized dealer with good repair facilites. This way you can do multiple visits, if needed, allowing them to 'hone' the regulation as close as possible to the ideal (say within 0.5 sec/day). Being 5 seconds fast a good watchmaker with knowlege of your specific movement should be able to get it within 2 seconds/day with the first adjustment. Each visit should at least half the error. Most will consider within 1-2 second a day perfectly acceptable and would stop adjusting.
Regards the co-axial 'myth', it depends on how you measure the performance criteria. A co-axial with regulation way off the mark would be seen as over-hyped by a layman when compared to a regulated Timex. But if you measured the deviation drift in the 5 positions, 6, 9, cd,du,dd you would find the co-axial should have precision of within a few secs as day at the 2 worst relative gain and loss positions. The Timex would be 10's of seconds off by comparison and it's deviation each day would be strongly influenced by the the wearer's habits and likely vary up/down by a big margin with each passing day. Also it is said that the co-ax will not need servicing for 10 years, so should stay 'accurate' for longer periods untouched. This is another criteria (if true, but the jury is out on this one) which is meant to hold this movement in higher regard. But there is no easy answer to 'hype' or not. COSC says the co-ax statistically gives no better measurements than a regular movement...but then again, they test all their watches over 15 days, and not 10 years!
Remember to be consitant with your wearing habits while the watch is regulated, i.e. wear it or take it off at night in the same manner you would normally do. Good Luck!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE