The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: A suggestion.
In Response To: A suggestion. ()

: Hi Guys,

: Are all those pictures from the same auction
: Chuck ?

: I see a largish Ding in the bezel just below
: the 09:00 marker. This would indicate that
: we are looking at the same watch in all of
: those pics.

: Here is one of Chuck's pics & one of Sams (
: Chucks first )

:

:

: I see that Sams watch has exactly the same
: papers that Chuck shows ( Sam shows a couple
: of extra white cards ). Notice the fold down
: the middle of the orange paper ( you can see
: this in BOTH pics). In Chuck's pic you can
: see some marks on the right edge of the
: guarantee card. These are unfortunately
: hidden in Sam's pic.

: My suggestion. Is it possible that the Auction
: pics from Chuck are of EXACTLY the same
: watch/packaging/box, that Sam just bought.

: It's known that some of the recent Antiquorum
: watches were bought/sold on eBay upto 12
: months before the auction. Could it be that
: the eBay auction archived by Chuck, was
: bought by someone, this watch was
: refurbished & then the complete package
: ( as bought via eBay) then sold via the
: Antiquorum auction ?

: It could be possible. ( I obviously have no way
: of proving it )

It's a plausible theory, Steve. I am out of town and have the watch with me, but not the documents. So, I have a watch, a loupe and some photos until I get back home.

The watch has been in Omega's hands, for refurbishing we know. The listing did not indicate ownership by a collector, which may indicate Omega's ownership -- you know I believe it does.

The bezel on my watch does not show a ding at 9, or any evidence of buffing or replacement, merely light rebrushing. It does show surface scratches at 4:30, which are faintly visible in this photo. The Chuck's photo doesn't seem to show the same scratches, which means little except the scratches could be new -- also plausible

My documents do not show the buckling from moisture (?) on the instruction manual (or was it the warranty?) that the one in Chuck's photos do.

Here's another view, not significantly different

I suspect the identical folds in the orange card printed in German is due to similar storage of the cards, instructions, etc.

(now let's not give me too hard of a time because I doubted that this box went with this watch -- it arrived with other Seamasters I purchased at the same time. But looking at the photo I feel a bit goofy . . . hey, I was excited)

And Steve, the two white cards are apparently warranty cards from the 8/23/1989 retail purchase date (or would that have been a service?) and a service in 9/1/1995. The watch was shipped from Omega 10/29/1986 (all dates American style). The 1989 could have been a purchaser insisting on (or getting) a service for a watch three years old at time of purchase.

Do you have any familarility with the codes listed on the next to last line on the SMH warranty cards?

The earlier one has 02 04 and 51. The later has 01 22 24 41 42 and 52. I suspect this indicates the type of service given.

Which begs the question: who is/was SMH, who apparently issued the warranty cards? I understand this was one of the past owners of Omega, which was consolidated into the Swatch Group. Any insight?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE