The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

You don't _need_ to clarify anything.

Re: A combined reply... Please Read... Posted By:
Peter Date: 6/13/07 22:43 GMT

In Response To: A combined reply... Please Read... (Chicagoland Chuck Maddox)

Thanks Chuck...I think I need to clarify things a bit...

Nope. You don't need to clarify anything. You didn't do anything wrong.

Watches used to be something I was "sort of" into, but I wan't educated in the subtleties of "chronograph vs. chronometer, etc." or as into it as I am now.

I've always [well since I was about 5 or so] at least somewhat interested in watches, but it's not a simple topic now is it?

My parents bought me the (insert brand here that begins with R and ends with X) when I was 21, and I still have it to this day.

Cool parents... I got a Citizen for my 21st... But then again, I asked for the watch I got...

Which was [and still is, in my opinion] a very cool watch.

That was my main watch for many years, and as a gift, I took it for granted (the way the hand moves, etc.).

Me too.

My father recently passed away (April),

My condolences, I lost mine, oh gosh... it was 18 years ago last February.

and I inherited a bunch of watches,

[un]Fortunately, my dad was more into cars than watches... With the exception of a Pulsar Calculator watch (the first model made) [welding scars and all] I didn't inherit worth much note in terms of watches. But we managed to hold on to the four best cars [at least in my assessment] of the 12 or so he had squirreled away..

and then decided to purchase some on my own as sort of starting a new chapter in life, and in the interest of having my son inherit them.

My cronic addiction was in remission until the passing of my mother nearly 9 years ago. After she passed I owned 7 watches, all but one were quartz and all but 1 quartz and the mechanical [Pawnshop purchased Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II] had quit working. So I started surfing the internet while all my quartz watches were getting batteries replaced.

The rest is reasonably well documented.

Full disclosure, he had a nice set of Croton watches, which are WAY less expensive than the "other brands" all automatic, and these were his favorite watches (he bought them on that MSNBC show). One was the last watch that my Mom bought for him for his 65th birthday, which he never made it to.

My dad missed his 65th by 10 weeks. Been there, sorry to hear I'm not alone on that.

I only own one Croton, I'll have to photograph it someday. It's not the star of my collection (by any stretch of the imagination, but for $250 or so, I'm not complaining.

I'll have to take and post a picture of it someday

If you look at why I posted amounts, brands, etc., it was all in context, and not "bragging."

I don't really care about that any... I know that some forums have strictures against posting what someone paid for a particular watch. I really don't understand why that's a taboo, but it is. There are no such strictures here [at least that I'm aware of].

Sure, if it's not immediately pertenent to the query or discussion there is no reason to post it, and it might strike some people in odd ways. But I'm not worried about it.

the other guy seemed to kind of go out of his way to go after me, and I understand that people can have bad days, and the internet is a fun place to call people all sorts of names with impunity.

Well, I could speculate on why he was in the mood he was in, but I'm not sure that would accomplish anything but tend to lower myself to his level [and or really cheese him off].

You are correct though, he did seem to go out of his way to post in the manner he did.

The other guy said something to the effect that he liked Omegas better so he "switched" from Rolex to Omega.

Well, for what it's worth, I do not and have not [ever] owned a Rolex. I own a pair of Tudor Oysterdate chronographs made by Rolex, but as I'm sure the regulars at the TZ Modern Rolex forum would be quick to point out, those are [at best] "poor-man's Rolex's" and not the real thing.

That was interesting, because I know I am not wealthy enough to just chuck a Rolex into the wastebasket because I fancy another brand

Well, I tend to doubt that the Rolex[es] in question were disposed of in that manner. I expect they went on the sales/auction/trading block as a means to finance other things.

(and for what reason by the way?

I really wouldn't know, but I know enough to not hold my breath for an answer to that one.

Probably for a tiny, subjective reason that is on par with second hands not hitting the mark on a quartz watch I am sure). If he wants to get rid of the Rolex I will gladly take it (or them) off his hands!

I don't know... Rolex has never appealed to me as much as they seem to appeal to other people. It's not that they aren't good watches [they are]. They just seem to be the easy answer, I've never been that conformist in my tastes I guess.

Rolex, Tag, Omega, they are all good, and I am blessed to be able to have a nice collection (which I think I need to dial back on the spending because I have a wedding/honeymoon coming up...lol!)

You might want to spend now while you still can. Chances are you'll be dialing back soon afterwards if you know what I mean...

Thanks again for your reply.

You're welcome. No problem!
-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE