The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Legibility / Those 24-Hour Dials

John:

First things first -- There must have been some sort of miscommunication, as I am a real fan of the watches with true 24-hour indication. I probably have eight or ten of them in my collection, ranging from the Quartermasters to the Cosmonautes, and some other ones along the way (Frank Muller Endurance comes to mind). There is something really neat about seeing that hour hand point straight down at 12:00 noon, reminding me that the day is half over. Same for the hour hand pointing to the right at 6:00 AM . . . the day is one-quarter done by then.

I am big on legibility and one question for me about the new TAG Heuer Carrera Porsche Special Edition is how the watch will do in that category. The dial is a bit on the "busy" side, and I will look forward to seeing whether or not you have to look for the hands [which is a bad thing] or whether they will "jump out" at you [which is a good thing].

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Jeff,

: I think it is a beautiful watch, although not much a departure from
: the modern standard, and much better than TAG has come up with
: lately. I do have one beef with it. I remember, a while ago,
: discussing the vintage Breitling 809 Cosmonaute with you. You
: said, and this is just from my admittedly addled memory, that
: you had a hard time wearing a 24hr dial watch because you didn't
: like going through the conversion in your head...too much work.

: Is this dial a bit of the same thing? I know it is easier...it
: still has 12 markers but will people go for the total
: concentration on timing function over the timekeeping function?
: I sort of don't get it.
: Again, I like it and I am not the demographic TAG is after.

: Yours in vintage

: Little Johnny

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE