The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Guys, I think our collecting competition may have…
In Response To: Your feminine side... ()

Your feminine side...

Posted By: patty

Date: 1/23/06 07:07 GMT

In Response To: Or Maybe She Will Finish the Story ? ? ? (Jeff Stein)

:Whenever I'm asked at the poker table, "Do you live straddle?" My response is usually the same, "Not when playing poker."

I love it!

My dear distinguised, elegant, Heuer wearing gentlemen,

Oh, my... This can't have good effects on the egos around here! LOL!

I'm honored by Mikes kind posting about me and humbled to be in the company of you and your Heuers. It's true, I am the proud owner of a 1940's, Heuer Abercrombie & Fitch Chronograph and as of just a few hours ago, a 1960's Heuer Carrera Chronograph (thanks to Mike).

Congratulations on both, I only have a single A&F Chronograph and it likely dates from the 1950's or 1960's and is patinead but I offer a lousy picture or two of said same...

It was about six or seven years ago while shopping at the Long Beach Vet's stadium antique market that my heart stopped at the sight of the Abercrombie. I had been looking for over two and a half years for this watch--rumaging through different swap meets, antigue markets, vintage watch shops, you name it. And there is was--a God among mere mortals.

I've been there... Well not at the place you mention, but at a Pawn Shop on State Street in Chicago.
In my case it was a Omega Speedmaster Professional Mark II, but I had similar thoughts...

I definitely blurred the lines of gentleness and forcefulness as I pushed the other on-looker/shoppers aside, pointed and said, "I want this one." I whipped out my checkbook (whipped out?! Am I writing to an all male audience or what!), forgetting even to ask the price. Fortunately, I only had to scribble in the amount of $1,100.

Well, I didn't have a checkbook, and I did ask what it was going for before checking it out to see if it worked, etc. but I was then and have always been very pleased with my $115 purchase back in the early 1980's...

Oh, here is an after refurbishment photo:

The rest is female vintage Heuer buying history. Besides the joy of just looking at my watch, much less wearing it, who would have ever guessed that I would be writing my Heuer story to such a refined group of individuals.

Koff! a-heah... (in my best Bugs Bunny imitation voice) "She don't know us very well... do she?"

OnTheDash is amazing--Mike thank you for your helpfulness--Jeff you too. And to the rest of the gang, I give my official "Hello." I promise never to be girly (when it comes to watches).

Hello! congratlations on your Carrera, I want to see pictures Patty, Mike... I'd like to see what you have coming your way. I'll show you a snap of mine... Where did I put that thing... Ah, here's one...
... and with the current "big watch" trend, I had wondered when the ladies were going to latch on to the idea of vintage men's sized chronographs as great ladies watches...

Thanks for letting me share a little of Heuer heaven with you.

Happy to have you aboard. Gives the joint more than a little injection of class, and makes the place more interesting.

Kindest regards,

Patty

P.S. One more thing, color coordinating the color of your shoes with the color of your watch strap is absolutely essential! (I couldn't resist.)

I'm more for matching my watch to my activities or where I'll be than my shoes. But then again I only have about 5-6 different pairs of shoes...

I'm also with Jim in that I'd be interested to hear how you came to be attracted to Abercrombie & Fitch (and now Heuer) Vintage timepieces. I am sure we all are interested in a viewpoint from the fairer gender...

Cheers and Good hunting! (Guys, I think our collecting competition may have just become a little more complex! -- But it's all good!)

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...
Watch Article Index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Non-Pasadena Pasadena Stainless 7750

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE